BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, May 27, 2013

My life is so different now!

So here I am, writing in my old blog, inspired to write again because I saw a coworkers daughter write in her own blog! 


That's right, a COWORKER! Ha! I have a full time job now! So many things have changed since I've last written. I am now 32 years old, I was 27 when I started this blog. My husband and I have been married nearly 13 years now and our children are now almost 11 and 6! 


Here they are! This was taken for Career Day at school. Lanie wants to be a 'grocery store girl', which is funny because she comes from a family of grocers. :) Kaci wants to be a teacher!

As mentioned, I now have a full time job. I work for the school district as a Pre-K aide! I work at the same school that my kids go to, Hays Magnet Academy. What an adventure that has been but I love it!
Here is a picture of SOME of the awesome people I work with:


If I had a staff group picture handy, I'd post that, because I truly work with some amazing people, and I want to show them all off. I have made many new friendships and met so many parents whom have grown to love me as I love their children :) 

I work the same schedule as my kids - we go to work/school together and go home together. I get to see them every single day, all throughout the day. I get to eat lunch with my oldest everyday as well, something I know she will look back on and cherish. 

Another positive report: WEIGHT LOSS!! Woot! Since January of 2012, I have lost about 38 pounds!! BIG accomplishment for me, although I didn't really TRY to do it, it just kinda happened. Then once I started working and wasnt at home all the time anymore, the weight continued to come off. I am now the smallest I've been since I was in high school! Add to that the nice and straight figure I received from my scoliosis surgery and VOILA! Great combination! I wear sundresses now and more form fitting clothing and I am so proud of my figure! Having an hourglass figure is a lot better for my psyche than being all crooked, BUT I wish I had learned to love myself even when I was severely crooked, because it doesn't matter what you look like, God made you the way you are for a reason! So no matter what kinda curves you have, ROCK THEM!! 

Here is a picture of me since the weight loss:


Woot! 

Working has been a challenge for me though, some days being better than others. I still hurt, daily, never ceasing. But thankfully, I've taken advantage of seeing a pain management doctor on a monthly basis and the meds help me get through the day. For a while, I stopped seeing a pain management doctor because I had a myriad of feelings about seeing a pain doctor. I worried what others would think of me for taking so many pills, I worried about the stigma of "pain pill abusers", I told myself I didn't need them. But when I'd go to bed crying because I was hurting, I'd kick myself for letting negative thoughts stop me from doing something I truly needed in order to have a quality life.  So off to the pain doctor I went!

Some people might think that having this surgery would alleviate or greatly reduce the pain I once knew prior to the surgery. But that's not true. The surgery straightened my spine and stopped it from progressing. I knew going into the surgery that I would never be pain free. If you are reading this now, and contemplating having a scoliosis fusion surgery with the thought that the pain will disappear, you will be disappointed. You basically trade one pain in for another. BUT, GOOD NEWS!! The pain is SOOOO much more manageable. The use of exercises, stretches, heat/cold therapy and medicine can do tremendous things. I WOULD HAVE MY SURGERY AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT. That is how GRATEFUL I am that I had it. Yes, my days are sometimes hard, I can't do all the things I'd like to do, I have to watch myself and not over-do things, but I am PROUD of my full metal spine! In fact, I made this picture just today: 


I do have a super spine now!! :)

What I usually do on a work day, is I take a dose of medicine on my way to work, usually another dose at lunchtime and then once I get home, I take more plus rest on my heating pad. This keeps the pain at bay and makes my day more functional. Once I've rested a bit after work, I'm good to do a little housework or errands or whatever. My husband and my girls are also a big help sometimes! I usually do not take pain meds on weekends or when I am off work, unless I do a lot of housework or errands. I just have to listen to my body, and take medicine when I know I will regret it if I don't. 

So taking pain medicine responsibly doesn't make you an abuser. I've learned that. But, funny story...one day I was standing at the kitchen counter and about to take some medicine and as I put the medicine in my mouth, my daughter comes up and says, "Mom, what's a pill popper?" Lol! She's heard me refer to myself as that and don't kids just have the best timing for asking questions such as that?? Hahaha!

I know I've said this before in past posts, BUT, I AM going to start writing in thus blog more often! June is Scoliosis Awareness Month and I am hoping to get the word out about my blog for other Scoliosis Friends or someone who may be facing this process with a loved one, or themselves. I am ALWAYS willing to talk about my experience and daily life with scoliosis and with a fusion, so please, if you are reading this and are dealing with this in any way, I'd love to hear from you. But please note, I am just an average and everyday person, by no means a medical expert in any way, so while I can talk about my own experiences and offer encouragement, you should always seek the professional advice of a doctor who practices orthopedic spinal surgery! That being said, please contact me at my email, mobley_925@yahoo.com! I look forward to hearing from you! I must go to bed now but will write more tomorrow!! Goodnight!! 




0 comments: