BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Dr. Shelokov passes away

I am just beyond saddened by this news.

I received an email today from another patient of his, and she told me that he had passed away and then sent me a news article that reported the tragic news. Dr. Shelokov was my surgeon and he totally transformed my life and many others as well. He was a caring man, witty, and made you feel as if you were his only patient. I think about all the people he could have helped and it just makes me so sad, because he truly was one of the best out there. I think of all the people he has helped and what an impact he has made on their lives. Including mine.

He died of a heart attack. He was only 55. He leaves behind a wife and two young children.

I was originally supposed to have my surgery in September of this year. Next month. But I was in such bad shape that we moved the surgery up to January, and I thank God that Dr. S was the man with the hands that corrected my horrible curves. I think about Dr. Shelokov everyday, and now he will forever remain in my heart, as the man who took great care of me and gave me my life back.

I pray for his wife, children and family, his wonderful co-workers (Eric and Shaun) and for all the patients who were blessed enough to call him their doctor. I feel like I just lost a real close friend.

Dr. Shelokov will truly be missed.



MAN ON THE MOUNTAIN
Mountain biker dies of heart attack


By REILLY CAPPS
Writer
Published: Wednesday, August 5, 2009 5:19 AM CDT

A doctor who worked to set crooked spines straight died of an apparent heart attack while riding his mountain bike on Prospect Trail Monday afternoon.

Alexis Shelokov, 55, lived in Plano, Texas, most of the year, but had a house in Bachman Village. He was an orthopedic surgeon and the medical director of the Baylor Scoliosis Center in Plano.

Shelokov leaves behind his wife, Georgiana, who is a radiologist, and two children: a boy aged 13 and a girl aged 11, reported San Miguel County coroner Bob Dempsey.

Shelokov had already been to Telluride three times this summer, said his friend Ed Roufa, mostly to mountain bike, which he loved.

“It was a horrible accident,” said Roufa, “but he was doing what he loved to do.”

Ed Roufa was with Shelokov when he died. They had ridden the Prospect Trail almost to the bottom, and Shelokov was ecstatic.

“I can’t tell you the exclamations we were using as we were doing the downhill,” Roufa said. Then Shelokov suffered his attack.

EMTs arrived within minutes, Roufa said, but were unable to revive Shelokov.

Valley Lawn Funeral Home is handling the arrangements.

This is the third death on a bike in the area in less than a month. A visitor from Washington state died after a solo crash on Telluride Trail July 12, and local “Captain” Jack Carey died July 17 while road biking on Lizard Head Pass.

Shelokov grew up in Glenwood Springs, Roufa said, an avid skier and ice climber. He got his medical degree from the University of Texas Health Sciences Center in 1982. He had owned a home in Telluride for at least 12 years, Roufa said.

Shelokov straightened out the spines of adults and children with scoliosis, the malady of a crooked, S-shaped spinal column, and he received some raves from former patients on scoliosis.org and vitals.com, where doctors are rated.

“I love him,” wrote one woman.

Wrote another patient: “I have never met anyone so attentive, caring, compassionate and very professional and honest at the same time.”

In an interview on Ivanhoe.com, Shelokov talked about how patients with scoliosis would confide to him that they felt different, they felt deformed.

“There are times that I describe my practice as one of being a psychiatrist with a knife,” Shelokov said. “It’s an odd way to put it, but any time you’re doing a procedure that changes the way a person looks physically and the way they feel physically, you can’t do that effectively without dealing with the patient emotionally, dealing with them as a person rather than just a collection of bones.”

He said he was working to correct the misperception that there’s nothing to be done for adults with scoliosis. He told them: “You can be made straight.” A man who loved to ride his bike, Shelokov even helped a woman get on one. An online story from Baylor tells about a woman whose scoliosis got progressively worse as she grew older. Then, at age 31, she met with Shelokov, who told her there was help. After surgeons at Baylor fused five vertebrae in her lower back, she went out and bought a mountain bike. “And now that I’ve tried it,” she said, “I’ve fallen in love with the sport.”

It seems fitting that Shelokov would find a way to help other people get into the sport he loved.



13 comments:

Eight31 said...

I am in complete shock...and TEARS.
WOW. I just cannot believe it, and I didn't get to have my one year follow up yet because of insurance and was planning on it for September.

Wow.

Tricia said...

Thanks, Staci, for letting me know. I am heartbroken, too. So grateful that I was one who was helped by Dr. Shelokov and so sad for the patients that won't have the benefit of his gifts and talents.

Patti said...

I was blessed to have been a patient of his also. He performed surgery on me last October. I pray for his family and co-workers that loved him also. He WAS the best and there will never be another Dr S. I will miss him and feel as though I've lost a dear friend.

Krysti Maloney said...

The moment I head the news, I broke down in tears. Dr. Shelokov was a very important chapter in my life. I had a 62 degree curve that he straightned out. I am so heartbroken. He comforted me and turned my life around. I am truely blessed for having had met him and have him straighten my life out physically and emotionally. My scar is his autograph and I will truely miss the man whom made a difference. There will never be another Dr. like him. God must have needed him to straighten some things up there in heaven. God Speed to his family and friends and family.

Staci said...

Krysti, that is a good way to look at it...that our scars are his autograph. I love that. Thanks for the comments!

Brittany said...

Staci, I found your blog when I was googling the death of him. I sit here and read the newspaper article and I just cried. I had surgery performed in 2002 and will be forever grateful to him! I am from AR and went to Plano and had surgery. He forgave so many medical bills that my insurance couldn't cover and he made it possible for me to have the surgery I needed. I loved him and truly think he is a wonderful and gifted man. You are right the world is truly missing out on someone that could have saved so many people!

Unknown said...

It is end of the year 2010, more than a year after his death and I just found out.
I moved to Phoenix in 2006 and have not seen him since I left Texas. My daughter has scoliosis and her orthopedist worked with Dr. Shelokov. I happened to mention Dr.Shelokov during our recent visit and my daughter's doctor told me that he had passed away.
I found these comments while I was searching for information and I knew that you all would understand what I am feeling.
I am crying and overwhelmed with grief.
I did not have the privilege of having him fix my spine. But he tried to help me overcome the obstacles of living with scoliosis.
I swear that he knew more about me just by looking at me than some of my closest friends knew. He could look INTO you and read your very soul.
My time with him was so brief but he marked me for life.

cleansedpalate said...

I only found out yesterday, a year and a half later, that Dr. Shelokov passed away. I am so saddened. I do not have scoliosis; however, he performed my first back surgery in 1996 when he still practiced at the TX Back Institute. I remember one visit to him (a few years past my surgery) where I had to bring my 2 boys - then 10 and 7 - and I just could not find someone to watch them while I went to my appointment. They were misbehaving, I was in pain, and one of them had recently been diagnosed with Aspergers, not to mention other stressful things going on in my life at the time. I felt so overwhelmed. He walked into the exam room, took one look at me, another at my boys, and told a nurse to take them out for a few minutes (so much for me thinking I was keeping up the charade of being cool, calm and collected!!). Then he sat down and asked me what was going on in my life. I totally broke down (did I mention I was overwhelmed??) and felt so guilty and embarassed that I was unloading my pent up stress to him. He said to me, "We can't take care of your back until we take care of you." He not only gave me the name of a therapist he held in high esteem, he made sure to call and get our family an appointment since she had a closed practice. That is the man he was. He is the only doctor I have ever seen who would come into the exam room and SIT (comfortably, not rigid/ready to bolt the room) and make sure I every question I might have was answered. My appointments did not feel rushed. I felt as if I was his only patient, and I have known others to say the same thing. Dr. Shelokov was not only a great doctor (the greatest) but an incredible person. He lived his life with passion, and he spread that passion to his patients and those around him. If all doctors (and people) lived their lives by his example the world would be a much better place.

Thank you for letting me share this on your site...

P. Ozebek said...

Two years and I am just finding out Dr. Shelokow has passed. I like so many others am so sad to hear this. Dr. Shelokov performed two corrective surgeries on me and gave me back my life. He truely did save my life and I will always think of him as my saving grace. This world has lost a man that shouldn't have died.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I knew Alex as a youngster at Catalina Island School at Toyon Bay. We traveled through Wyoming and Colorado one summer, in 1973. We lost contact over the years and I was trying to track him this morning, learning that he had passed several years ago. Alex was a bright star when I knew him, and I can see from the honoring of him by his colleagues and patients here that he continued his ascent, in a kind and humanistic way. What sadness. Thurman W. Arnold, III

Anonymous said...

I did not have insurance that would cover his surgery. I went with another doctor who ruined my surgeries. I am disabled today because of it but the staff that I talked to at his office were the best. I had hoped that one day i would be able to go to him and have my spinal surgery repaired. I pulled out his dvd this morning and was inspired .........only to be crushed when I researched his name and found him to be dead. I am heart broken because he seemed like a genuine man who just wanted to help restore people. I am also saddened that I will not have the chance that I had dreamed about. I have not stopped crying because things seem so hopeless now and with prior surgeries failing, I will probably have to live life like this (but this is not living).

Anonymous said...

I was fortunate enough to work with alex at medical center of plano. I didn't know he had passed until three years ago. While talking to a nurse that had worked with alex and myself she told me he had passed. He was a wonderful man with a kind spirit. He was good to the little people, the support staff of clinicians at plano. what a wonderful man.